10 Great Ways to Celebrate Mother’s and Father’s Day in the Capital Region
How do you acknowledge a parent’s love? They have given us so much throughout the years that thinking of ways to say “thank you” can feel overwhelming! Not to fear, the capital region has lots of fun and creative ways to celebrate your parents this year, and we’ve done some of the work for you so you can focus on what’s important: your parents.
- The Annual Tulip Fest
Albany is proud of its Dutch heritage and shows it every year by celebrating with the Annual Albany Tulip Fest. The Tulip Fest falls right on Mother’s Day weekend and features over 150 different kinds of tulips. Also featuring live music, food and art vendors, and activities for kids, the Tulip Fest is an exciting weekend for all ages.
- Fort Orange Plant Sale
If your parent loves plants, you might want to take them to the Fort Orange Garden Club Plant sale in the Buhrmaster Barn this year! Grab some perennials that they can enjoy for years to come. The barn is located right in Albany, NY and entry is free on Saturday, May 11 from 9-2.
3.Brunch at City Beer Hall
City Beer Hall & gastropub is always packed for brunch. Menu items include a beverage: a bloody mary, a glass of craft beer, or a mimosa. With both indoor and outdoor seating, City Beer Hall is a great way to start your weekend celebrating mom and dad. Call ahead and make a reservation! This spot is well-loved by many in the capital region.
4.Take a Food Tour with Taste of Troy Food Tours
Food. Drink. Art. History. Laughs. What more could a parent ask for this year on Mother’s or Father’s Day? Taste of Troy Food Tours features a tour in both Albany and Troy. Whether your parents are capital region natives or new to the area, they will certainly learn something new and have fun doing it. The walking food tour is just over 3 hours long, ending at the Troy farmers market On Saturdays or Fridays at the Olde English Pub in Albany (happy hour, anyone?). Purchase tickets for any public tour between May 10th and June 27th – mom and dad get 50% off with code Parent2019 at tasteoftroyfoodtours.com
- Dine or dance at The Hollow Bar + Kitchen
Get creative with your Mother’s and Father’s day plans this year, take your mom or dad to the only 4-star restaurant in the Capital Region! With menus that satisfy all tastes and diets, craft beers and cocktail selections, and live concerts, The Hollow is sure to please your parents, whatever their style is.
- Albany County Historical Association Garden Talk & Tea
What says spring more than perennials? Get creative this year and take mom or dad to the Perennial Garden Basics class with master gardener Pam Taft at Ten Broeck Mansion in Albany, NY. Participants get to explore the mansion’s garden, gain expert knowledge as to how to care for your garden, and will enjoy tea and refreshments at the conclusion. Tickets must be purchased ahead of time for $20 each.
7. Dad Fest at Washington Park
On June 16th, take your dad to the free festival in Albany’s Washington Park. Dad Fest features live music, food vendors, and a newly added classic cars show. With events for all ages, Dad Fest is sure to be a hit with the whole family this year for Father’s Day.
- Nature walk at Peebles Island State Park
Give your parents a little getaway from the city and take them to Peebles Island located where the Hudson and Mohawk rivers meet. The island features easy walking trails, gorgeous, green fields and upstate New York wildlife. Take advantage of the cook-out spot and grill up some of your parent’s favorite foods after a fun day of hiking or kayaking.
- Art Connects at the Albany Institute of History and Art
Having a parent with Alzheimer’s can be stressful. Have some fun this spring and bring your parents to an event designed specifically for those affected by the disease. Art has the ability to evoke emotion and memory and might be just want your parents needs this Mother’s or Father’s Day.
- Stained glass workshop at The Arts Center of the Capital Region
For the creative woman in your life, The Arts Center of the Capital Region is hosting a special Mother’s Day workshop on May 11th. Participants will learn the techniques to create a beautiful work of art that they can take home or give as a gift to another special person in their life!
Other creative gift ideas
- Treat mom or dad to dinner on you! There are so many great restaurants in the capital region. A gift card to their favorite one is sure to please.
- Tickets to a show. You don’t have to go all the way to New York City to share great music or theater with your parents. The capital region has many places that showcase “Broadway” shows at a lower price without compromising quality! This area is rich in a wide range of musical offerings – in a variety of venues. Check out the calendars for The Times Union Center, SPAC, Proctors, The Palace Theater, The Capital Rep Theater, The Massrey Center and the Troy Savings Bank Music Hall.
- Your own art. Parents love when their family makes them something from the heart. Sign yourself up for a class at the Arts Center in Troy and give your parent something that no one else will.